This is how you surf safely online
Look after your computer by using security software and secure passwords and being generally careful in the use of your personal data.
Protective shield for your computer and your mobile phone.
Regardless of whether you surf the internet on your computer or on your mobile phone: protect your devices from viruses, Trojans and other dangers.
These general tips are particularly important:
- Use a firewall and make sure that it is always active and up to date.
- Update the operating systems of your computer and mobile phone regularly. These updates close security loopholes in the system and provide better protection.
- Install anti-virus software and anti-spyware to protect against viruses and Trojans. Here again, take care to make regular updates.
- Back up your data regularly and keep it safe.
- On mobile phones: be careful in the selection of apps that you install.
Protect personal information
Be particularly careful when it comes to entering personal data. Only enter these data on websites that you trust and only when it is absolutely necessary.
For example, for guest book entries or forum discussions, use an email address which does not allow any conclusions to be drawn about your personal data. Check the privacy settings for social networks and ensure that only people authorised by you can see your personal data.
The best protection begins with the best password
You can protect yourself against data theft with a secure password. The following general tips help you in creating secure passwords:
- The longer the password, the more secure it is.
- Use upper and lower case letters, digits and special characters and punctuation. Avoid using words here that appear in the dictionary and data which are closely associated with you (birthday, name etc.).
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Never save your passwords
Buy securely online
Whether an online shop, a sharing site or an auction platform: there are many ways to make purchases on the internet.
Wherever you want to pay online, always check the following points before you buy:
- the seller
- the product
- the payment method
- the dispatch route
Particularly important: Never send sensitive data (e.g. paysafecard prepaid codes) by email.